Sunday, June 11, 2023

יקום פורקן - מנהג קהל עדת ישרון

In a previous post (see note 1 there), I mentioned that the Chazzon in KAJ says the entire יקום פורקן out loud. ישראל Strauss and others corrected me that, in fact, the Chazzon begins and ends each יקום פורקן aloud, with the congregation saying along quietly.

This was a result of my misunderstanding the instructions on pg. 49 in מחזור שבחי ישרון (David J. Roth 2016) which say "The Chazzon begins", which I understood to mean that the Chazzon begins aloud and continues aloud; whereas, actually, the Chazzon begins aloud, continues quietly, and concludes aloud. The author of the מחזור confirmed for me as well that my original understanding of the instructions was not his intention.

This is also the practice of R Ely Shestack of Congregation Ahavas Achim (as can be heard here).

Leon Metzger shared with me that in Congregation Ohav Scholaum (a now-defunct yekkishe shul in Washington Heights - for more on that see here) the חזנים finished each יקום פורקן aloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

השארת שמץ-זכר מרשעים

We have shown that there is weak halachic basis for ברכת כהנים to only be performed on יו"ט. Yet, those who tried to reinstate its dail...